Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Colace & Miralax

This is definitely not the most elegant of subjects, however, I want to share as much as I can in hopes of helping, so here we go! One of the major side effects of chemotherapy is... (drum roll please) ...constipation. Not fun, nor a very graceful subject, I know. At first, I didn't really realize what constipation really entailed. That didn't last very long. I tried the natural approach in the beginning through my diet (hello grapes and cherries) and laxative herbal tea. That didn't last very long either and I desperately needed to find a solution. Here is what worked and continues to work for me: Miralax in the morning, and Colace (I actually use Phillips' Stool Softener) at night. This seems to do wonders. I take both for the first week after treatment, and then alternate every other day with one or the other until my next treatment. I've been doing this about three quarters of my treatments and so far so good. I hope that this helps. (Always check with your doctor before taking anything).

No comments: